Friday, November 6, 2009

job description

So I was asked by my son today ‘dad what is your job there?’ I thought that I would answer this in three parts, why our unit is here, what my job description is, and then what I actually do.

I am an augment to MWSS-372. They are a support squadron out of Camp Pendleton. Our job is to make and maintain runways, give fire rescue support to aircraft, give medical and logistical support, provide messing (food) support, and do all kinds of other projects for the Marine Air Group. We are really focused on the airfields during this deployment.

My job is that of senior medical officer (SMO) of the battalion aid station (BAS). I inherited this job because I have the most gray hair and a higher rank than anyone else at the BAS. I ensure that everyone else in the BAS are doing their jobs. I do see patients, but for the most part they are not very complex. My most important job seems to be making power point slides for daily briefs to the CO. Words just cannot describe the excitement and intellectual challenge this brings me. Lastly, I have to deal with local politics of other medical officers. Thankfully, I usually only have to introduce myself with my rank and this resolves most situations since they are mostly LTs.

To really give you an idea of what daddy does at work in Afghanistan, I will describe my day yesterday.

0630 – wake up
0630 – 0700 – brush teeth, make oatmeal and tea (switched from coffee recently)
0700 – 0730 – Talk to family back home
0730 – 0800 – Take 30 minutes on our computer to check about 3 e-mails
0800 – 0815 – Go to daily mass (got to feed the soul too)
0815 – 0830 – Make power point slide for brief
0830 – 0845 – See a couple of patients (maybe it was one patient with 2 diagnosis)
0845 – 1000 – Read medical text, journal articles
1000 – 1030 – Battle Update Brief or BUB (that is really the acronym they picked for brief)
1030 – 1130 – Work out (sit-ups, push-ups, pull-ups, dips, chest and triceps)
1130 – 1200 – Chill / light reading
1200 – 1330 – Lunch (10 min walk, 20 minutes to eat, 50 minutes chat, 10 min walk back)
1330 – 1400 – Patient (possible food-associate, exercise-induced anaphylaxis)
1400 – 1530 – Read, write letter, eat M&Ms
1530 – 1615 – Yoga
1615 – 1645 – Run to other base to play basketball
1645 – 1800 – Play basketball on a court that Brits made from material used for air strip
1830 – 1845 – Shower
1845 – 2000 – Dinner
2000 – 2100 – Sit around and talk smack about people
2100 – 2345 – Watch ‘Conspiracy’. Horrible movie. Name one good Val Kilmer movie other than ‘Top Gun’ or ‘The Saint’. That’s right, you can’t.
2345 – Sleep

I wanted to give a shout out to Greg Utz, former neighbor and Navy colleague who is going to take over as CO for Navy Health Research Center. Lily, we know that this is more from your hard work than his :) I also give Liz all the credit for my current position and stature…………in Afghanistan.



V-22 Osprey have arrived.





Warrior pose(er)?




This one is for you uncle Greg!

4 comments:

  1. Mark now I know what to get you for xmas. A rainbow colored leotard or some Richard Simmons short shorts. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, are you practicing the "Don't Ask Don't Tell Policy" with that warrior pose?

    ReplyDelete
  3. very cool mark! love the 'warrior pose'! so proud of you!! next one to try... crane pose! send a picture! check it out: http://www.abc-of-yoga.com/info/crane-pose.asp

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mark, (Please excuse me for not a denoting rank). I recently picked up an " Adopt A Troop" box kit, while leaving my church Calvary Chapel Of Costa Mesa. I had till The 25th Of Nov to pack some stuff inside and send it off to Afghanistan where you guys are located. The name I was given is none other than "Stein O Mite". Or at least I think it is him. I was curious to know who this person was so I searched your unit until I found your blog containing your crew. My family and I now have some pics to go with our prayers for you and you brothers and sisters. I served in the United States Army in the early eighties, but never deployed to the desert. Can you please give me some ideas of what I can send that will actually be useful to you out there(if you can send a text to my cell ph# (562) 230-7690. You will probably laugh when you see some of the stuff I crammed in Stein's box. Like my son's baseball and bubble gum. I think you could make the connection having children. I will continue to pray for you guys out there and I know Jesus will protect you from harm. Keep the faith and let Stein know we are proud of him and impressed with his IV expertise in low light conditions. "The Viveros Family"

    ReplyDelete