Tuesday, November 3, 2009

gym

Today I thought that I would talk about our local gym. The Marines usually have decent gym equipment on their bases (of course never as nice as that which the Air Force bases will have…different blog). Our gym is about a hundred yards from the BAS which is definitely an advantage. However, it is, like everything else, housed in a tent with a plastic floor. I am sure that at one time (i.e. first month of use) the gym was great. Now the weights are mismatched, the pulleys on machines non-functional, and the pins needed for the machines non-existent. That is not even the worst of it. I have included a picture of the bench which is now more duct tape than fabric (remind you of anyone Liz?). I also added a picture of the treadmills. The treadmills only occupy space at this juncture as they do not work. All they do is collect sand. If you look closely, you will see that a lot of the ‘tread’ from the treadmills has been removed by some industrious Marine.

Mostly my routine these days is series of situps, pushups, dips and pull-ups. I am really starting to pump out some numbers. I have taken up running while out here. I use to run about 5 times a year. Now I am running 5 days a week, 4 miles a day. My goal is to get my weekly miles up and hopefully run the Rock N Roll marathon in June 2010. Anyone want to run with me? That’s right I threw down the gauntlet!
Talk to you all later.

Side notes:
1) I was a bit perturbed when I heard it reported that Obama would not decide on possible troop increases in Afghanistan until after November elections. Goes to show you where politician priorities are these days. They are more interested in political clout (winning local elections for their party) then they are about the welfare and safety of U.S. troops. Maybe we will have an answer after the next poll results are in.
2) I found it interesting that it is speculated that the first eco-billionaire could be Al Gore. He is sure profiting from his agenda. His financial interests stand to make millions off us common folk when things like cap-and-trade programs go into effect.


Just like Venice beach.

Where's the beef?


Yet another use for duct tape.






Slightly used treadmills. Actually never used because they no longer have tread...or monitors....or electricity to run on.

3 comments:

  1. ...impressive running stats there mark! rock n' roll! get rid of those unsightly treadmills and make that a yoga studio! namaste!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm surprised someone hasn't already hauled those worthless treadmills out of there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My partner and I are thinking that we should develop and tape a 'combat yoga' DVD. Namaste right back at you.

    ReplyDelete