Wednesday, November 18, 2009

research

So, one would think that you would not need too many allergists in Afghanistan (or even one for that matter). That being said, my first two patients were seasonal allergic rhinitis and asthma. There has been a good amount of asthma exacerbations due to the irritant effect of the constant dust. Maybe this is why we will have 3 of the Navy’s 5 allergists serving in Afghanistan by February (which leaves 2 allergists to cover 3 major hospitals).

I have also had some other interesting cases such as food-associated, exercise-induced anaphylaxis to oatmeal. We have had numerous interesting skin cases which my partner is salivating over since he wants to do dermatology one day. Urticaria (hives) is always present as well. I have been able to do some drug challenges to rule out drug allergies and even considered desensitizing a patient to doxycycline for malaria prophylaxis needs.

I was due to go to the American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology this month, but could not due to my vacation to Afghanistan. I had 3 abstracts accepted. We had a poster presentation on the ‘evaluation of FeNO and the subsequent diagnosis of asthma in military basic trainees’. We had a poster presentation on ‘anaphylaxis to neoprene’. Lastly, I had one accepted for oral presentation and luckily one of the co-authors was able to present the ‘diagnostic value of limited skin prick test panels’. She did an awesome job and the presentation was well received.

I have brought research to work on out here, but finding more interest in pleasure reading and guitar at the moment. I did read the first volume of the new Middleton Allergist text (pic attached). This was only 700+ pages (unfortunately, volume II is 1000+ pages). I currently am reading a chapter of vol II in Middleton’s and a chapter out of a contact and occupational dermatology book each day. Another favorite professional read has been the new edition of the Red Book on infectious diseases. Hey it helps with insomnia!

I know that this blog was not quit as exciting, but once-in-a-while Mark can be a dull boy. Hopefully it will portray me as being somewhat intellectual…..naaahhh!

I would like to point out that this blog entry was spell checked. Liz was quit perturbed at the fact that I misspelled ambulance in recent blog entry. I told her that I am more interested in what arrives in the ambulance and not being able to spell it correctly. Nonetheless, grammar and spelling should be at least above that for a graduating high school senior which is not saying much these days.





Volume I is in the books so to speak.

















Vol II of an allergy text and a book on contact dermatitis. Who needs ambien for sleep?













This is me strumming the guitar with new hat in tow.













Helicopters on the flight line.

2 comments:

  1. 1) Funny how this entire entry was converted into audio by my laptop and all I could hear was Charlie Brown's teacher saying, "Waah wuuh wuuh wuuh wuuh...." Intellectual Mark.... indeed!
    2) Regarding your earlier blog about Afghan Couture... Mason votes for the burgundy suit... second from the left. Can you hear the soundtrack now? "I'm too sexy for this suit, too sexy for this suit... so sexy it huuurrts!" Maybe you can sport it at Laura's wedding. Oh! Get one for Greg too!
    3) "Air from my lungs, huh?" .... In the words of Uncle Phillip.... "Hugga Mouf Mark! You Bit!" Yeah, that's right! Them are fightin' words right there!!!!!

    Alrighty then... Stay safe Mark & I'll send you pix of the Tucker Compound Construction Project soon... The Sedlacek Wing is turning out really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will buy both my suit and Greg's if he will wear it to Laura's wedding. Give me his suit size and it is done.

    ReplyDelete