Tuesday, February 2, 2010

February at last

So the computers are back on and I can once again get in contact with the outside world. I am doing fine now that we are in February. I am due back probably sometime in March which would be great. Now that I am done with my FMF pin, I started to pleasure read again. I am currently reading a book called ‘Three Cups of Tea’ about a man named Greg Mortenson who goes around the most remote areas of Afghanistan and Pakistan and builds schools mostly for girls to assure they get proper education. It is a very engrossing book. If you are looking for an inspirational story, I recommend this book. My next read will be about a great cholera outbreak in Europe.

I am also watching the complete 6 seasons of the Sopranos. I just finished season 4. It is entertaining, but it is starting to get a little old. This guy back stabs that guy because he is sleeping with this woman and so that guy shoots the other guy….Sounds a lot like past turmoil of Afghanistan. I have access to Heros, Lost, Dexter and 24. Any recommendations on which I should start watching next?

One of the allergy associations wants me to write a little blurb about what Navy allergists are doing out here in Afghanistan. I think that they are mistaken that we are actually doing allergy. Hopefully they will not be too disappointed to find out I am taking care of turned ankles, dry skin and runny noses. I included below the picture of myself and my allergy colleague from Bethesda. I am sending this picture into the allergy society. He is in a different uniform because he got augmented to the Army since the Army now depends on other services to do their medical job for them. So he showed up to a battalion with over 800 soldiers and no doctor, no PA, no nurse, just 2 medical techs (less experience than corpsmen). He has since had another 500-700 soldiers come in under the buildup with no further medical support. On top of that a bunch of them are reservists which means medically they are broke. He is much busier than I. He told me the other day that his unit has 3 Army doctors who are all at a bigger base and together see about a third of the patients that he sees. Injustice if you ask me. You have to ask the Navy for docs and you do not even work your organic Army docs as hard.
Okay, that is enough for today. I am going to force myself into a run. I have a half marathon coming up here in 2 weeks and Liz just signed me up for the Rock ‘n’ Roll marathon in June.
Take care


Tactical allergists.

No comments:

Post a Comment