Monday, February 22, 2010

reflection

So it is getting close to the end of my deployment and I thought that I would give some reflection. I could complain about being in the middle of a third (is there a forth) world country being underutilized as I am separated from family and friends. I asseverate that there has more good than bad and that there is a proverbial ‘silver lining’ to my six months in the desert.
For one thing, I am in the best shape of my life. I have done my best to give Liz that prison body that she deserves. I have actually shed a few pounds despite engaging in gluttony. All the while I have increased the amount of weight I can lift. I have been pounding out sit-ups, pull-ups, dips and push-ups daily. I run most days of the week. This coming from someone who is accustomed to running 30 miles a year, not 30 miles a week. As an apogee of my running I have entered into the Rock ‘n’ Roll marathon in San Diego this June.

Even though I have not been challenged professionally, I have had time to read. I have read three textbooks and numerous articles to keep up with my specialty. Usually, these reading assignments sit on my desk for months. Despite the medicine here in my BAS being rather remedial, it is appreciated by the Marines.

I have been fortunate to have the chapel be next door to our BAS. I have been further blessed to have had our chaplain be a Catholic priest. It is uncanny that my faith has been able to grow in a country that is intolerant to other religions.

I was ecstatic when I found that the chaplain brought a couple of guitars with him for the chapel. One of the guitars was rarely claimed and thus I was able to keep it hostage at the BAS. His religious assistant plays guitar and was able to teach me some new material. I will let you be the judge when I get back as to whether I got any better.

I have always been proud to serve my country. However, most of the time I have served, it has been in a clinic/hospital taking care of military and their dependants. I definitely serve a purpose back home, but here it is a different kind of medicine taking care of those fighting for our country and way of life. One may question why we are here and what exactly our mission is at this point. However, the soldiers here are fulfilling the mission that has been directed to them by our government and they do so with honor and with purpose. Having now been deployed in a combat environment I can hold my head a bit higher knowing that I was supporting the Marine on the ground.

Speaking of Marines, I am so happy that I got attached to a Marine squadron instead of an augment to an Army unit. Not to piss any Army lovers off, but they are sometimes really backwards. The Marines are just more professional from top to bottom. I can further appreciate the Marines now since earning my FMF (fleet Marine force) device. I will be able to wear this device, as well as a few ribbons from this deployment to add some ‘bling bling’ to my uniform.
I have been able to meet many different people from many walks of life. They not only come from the U.S., but from many countries abroad. I have been able to taste different foods, hear a variety of languages and be exposed to other cultures. Some people can get on your nerves after 6 months of close interaction, but for the most part everyone was civil. There will be a few who I have felt a stronger bond and will look forward to keeping in contact in the future.
Lastly, despite being separated from my family, I have never felt more aware of just how important they are to me. I truly appreciate my family and my love has only grown. I think our bonds will only be strengthened by this experience. I am really proud that my wife and kids have done such a great job in my absence. (actually it kind of pisses me off since I do not feel as irreplaceable now :)

So there are some of the positives from this deployment. That being said, I am really looking for some old food favorites, any alcoholic beverage, a comfortable bed and the warmth and love of my family and friends when I close this chapter in my life.

Peace



Chief and HM1 posing in front of Camp Viking.













British vehicles lined up to go out to the fight.

1 comment:

  1. HI Mark.

    I just thought I would tell you that the Marines and the Navy, for that matter, are lucky to have you! Talk about making lemonade.... Strong work and I am glad that you are on the final count down to home.

    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete