Wednesday, January 20, 2010

helicopter support team

So yesterday I got to participate on an HST (helicopter support team). Basically, we netted up some water bladders filled with drinking water (1000’s of pounds each) to be flown to another forward operating base. After you net them up and put on a huge D ring, a helicopter comes down to have it latched to its underside and then fly away with the goods.

In this case, it was 2 53s that flew in. So when they approach you have to brace yourself due to the immense winds they generate. I literally had to be in a crouch position leaning into the wind with my hands over my face. Even in that position, I was being pushed back along the rocks. You then rush under the helicopter and one individual holds a grounding rod to the hook from the underbelly of the helicopter while another individual (me in this case) hooks the D ring on the hook. Then we all skeedattle to the periphery, brace ourselves once again as the helicopter increases its collective (power) to lift off. When it flies away you see a brilliant electrical current on the edges of the rotor blades (only 175,000 volts or so…). Very motivating experience, great leg work out! Pictures limited due to being night time.

I am shocked that Scott Brown won the election for senate seat for Mass. It is an amazing story. He is a republican running for a seat that was held by the most democratic family (Kennedy's) in probably the most democratic state after being behind 35 points in the polls weeks ago....and he wins! This is a warning sign to those in Congress that people are fed up. Maybe this will turn the tide. I think it is a foreshadowing of waht is to come in Nov elections.



Forklift lifts the heavy water bladders onto the net.














Marines secure the net around bladders.













Guy with grounding rod is on left and just released. I am far right backing up after I hook the load to the helicopter.

2 comments:

  1. i'm just trying to picture you guys "skeedattling"! sounds like a fun workout! hope you're being careful! i think i'll try to bring a 'skeedattle' class to my gym, however, according to the 'urban dictionary' on-line; definition for skeedattle is: "to make like a tree... and leaf". (maybe nobody will show up to the class, or maybe quite the opposite-they'll show up for roll-call, and then... hmmm, skeedattle immediately after...) i just like saying the word! oh, oops, gotta skeedattle mark, gotta get back to work! take care and keep the blogs coming! xoxo, nanette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nanette,
    First off thanks for being one of my main contributors for comments.
    Is not tree a yoga form? I did not appreciate the true definition that you have graciously provided. However, it may still be appropriate. For one thing I was rooted like a tree out of fear when this behemoth (derived from hebrew meaning beast or large animal) aircraft came slowy down on me. Second, I started to sway like a tree from the immense rotor backwash. Lastly, as I backed away slowly I almost rolled along the ground like a leaf being blown by the wind.
    If your definition is correct and you indeed had to skeedattle, then I suspect that you may still be frozen in front of your computer screen awaiting my remarks.
    Take care,
    Mark

    ReplyDelete