Wednesday, September 16, 2009

FIrst full day at Manas

So I just wanted to tell you about my first full day at Manas. I am sleeping in a huge tent that has like 120 Marines in it. We are in bunkbeds with so-so mattresses. Chowhall is decent and free which is good. I must say that the gym is impressive for where we are and complete with weights, machines, and basketball court. We played a little baseketball today. I visited the permanent medical clinic here and it was sufficient. They actually have capacity for surgeries. There is a Px here and behind it a place called AAFES town where locals can sell some gifts. There is also a coffee shop of sorts and a trailer where they sell pizza hut pizzas (must be frozen pizzas they cook). They have self service laundry and showers nearby the hut where I live which definitely helps my morale. Below are some more pics.

I just watched some TV in chowhall during dinner and saw that the House of Representatives spent taxpayer money to waste a day condemning Rep Wilson for his outburst of the President. Then I saw that Jimmy Carter says these things are due to racism. Are you kidding me!!! First off it took the majority white vote to carry Obama into office. Second, no one called out racism when democrats would heckle Bush (by the way, I am not the biggest fan of Bush either) and compare him to some rather deplorable things/people. It is sad that racism is brought into the discussion so easily. Maybe some people like Rep Wilson jsut do not like Obama's policies or the fact that he is bullish in his nationally televised speeches (how many have there been already?). Sorry just had to get that off my chest. Now back to the pictures....



Me posing in front of AAFES town.




















Our tent where we sleep. Lots of gravel everywhere.










Representative shot of our bunks.

4 comments:

  1. Did you say the locals sell "gifts"? Yippee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mark, good to see you.... i miss you already.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Limited gifts, but very funky hats that I am tempted to buy if I can find a way to ship.
    I will everyone already, but am in good hands with friendly bunch.

    ReplyDelete