Tuesday, September 29, 2009

thoughts about food


So Today's picture is of our change of command ceremony which has now left us in charge of the dirt and dust rather than our sister squadron.
However, I wanted to say a few words about food with observations I have had over the past 2 weeks. First, good food leads to good morale and I am happy to say that I have not had to have a complete MRE or T rat meal since being deployed.
I have mentioned that we have been mainly eating at the British chow hall. The negative to this is that it is very poorly air conditioned, the food is not always salted enough and the milk and water tend to be warm. It is hard to find any other criticism. I really think that the Brits get a bad rap about their food. We usually have 4 different entrees to choose from and I have as of yet not been disappointed. Actually the food is pretty flavorable. I especially like the currys that they make.
I have gone to the American chow hall on three occassions. Now, many of the Marines prefer this chow hall, but I think that it has to do more with the better airconditioning, the cold drinks and the familiarity of fried foods. Since I have been partaking in the British chow hall, I now have been reminded just how calorie rich our fried foods can be. Could it be that this is an alimentary awakening for me?
Last point about food. Here the meals are really a social event. We walk together in small groups to the chow hall, we sit together and we talk. It is not unusual for us to be there an hour. Then we walk back. What a concept...build up an appetite, eat slowly with good company and then digest while walking back to camp. Another concept lost on American routines when we are more interested in eating fast to get to the next place we need to be. I just wish that more people could sit and eat as families as we get the chance to eat as comrades.
So in the past 24 hours I have finished the last Harry Potter (victory over Voldemort at last) and I have started Liberty and Tyranny by Mark Levine (a great read). I have also watched the hangover (a bootleg at that) which was pretty funny.

1 comment:

  1. Mark, I'm finally on the blog. Keep em coming. I've only had 3 MRE's in my life and all have been pretty darn good. Be careful when you have to eat them because I think they pack more calories that a Triple Whopper with cheese combo meal. I guess that's the point of them. Take care.

    Craig Bilyeu

    ReplyDelete