Monday, October 26, 2009

blackouts

Hello,
In case you are wondering why I am not always consistent in my blogging, it is really three reasons. 1) I am lazy 2) It is a lot of pressure to think of new interesting topics coming from a very uninteresting individual and 3) Blackouts.
We have communication blackouts when there is an U.S. casualty. This is so no news of the event gets out before the family members can be appropriately notified. Sometimes this is within hours, sometimes days. Therefore, there are times I just plain cannot get on the computer to blog.
Today I am going to write about the Gurkhas from Nepal. They are part of the 'Queen's Gurkha force' which is part of the British forces here in Afghanistan. They are known as fierce warriors in the past. I will refer you to a wikipedia link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gurkha. I was able to purchase one of their traditional knives that are handmade. I also got some replica letter openers. The money raised by the sale of these items and shirts and such goes to a charity fund for those who have served in the Gurkha forces serving Britain pre-1997. They apparently do not get any pension and thus need added assitance. So below are some pictures for you to peruse. Cheers!









Knife has layer of oil on it to preserve. There are 2 smaller knives in the hilt that are used for skinning game.













Letter openers and signature patches.










Me outside Gurkha headquarters.

No comments:

Post a Comment