Wednesday, October 21, 2009

hideout

Today I thought that I would talk a little about privacy or better yet the lack thereof. Here in the field there really is no such thing as privacy. I am constantly around people at work, play, chow, and even sleep. It is not that I do not like social interaction (most of you would probably state that I need attention), it is just that sometimes you like to have a little peace and quiet. About the only place you can have that quality time to yourself for reflection is when you go to the head (bathroom for non-Navy types). The problem is you do not want that much time in that situation because you are either sitting in a space that is smaller than an airplane bathroom (previous blog) or your olfactory system is insulted while you steam away in a port-a-potty
My original living quarters was with the younger, more hip, Marine lieutenants and captains. When it was realized that I am actually a field grade (04 or above) officer I was told that I must move to the hooch (tent) where the CO, the XO, the operations officer and now the Chaplin all reside. The Chaplin and I share the front third of the tent; I call it the parlor or ante-room if you will. The nice thing is that there is somewhat of a plywood partition that separates us from the other officers, but the negative is that everyone must walk through my space to get to theirs and the door opens right into sight of my rack (bed). Therefore, I had to find a way for a little, that’s right, privacy. I have included some pictures to give you an idea of how I can engage myself with different layers of privacy.










Open air.














Is he sleeping?









The man wants to be left alone!

5 comments:

  1. Is that a sleep # bed by select comfort? Lucky. Looks real fun. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. c'mon. we all know these are pictures of the enlisted encampment. enough of your shenanigans. area looks a lot like 29 palms. hmm. going into palm springs tonight for an "outback" steak? stay safe bro, keep your head down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mark - I've submitted your name & location to ABC's Extreme BunkBed Makeovers. If you hear Ty Pennington yelling your name through a bullhorn, you can thank ME!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i see your bunk-bed-fort-skills came to use for ya mark! i bet you feel like a kid again? westin is an expert at making forts- he kind of outgrew them however, and now, when he needs privacy, he simply closes the door, turns up the music, & shuts us all out! teenagers & their shenanigans- they go hand-in-hand! gotta love them. PEACE out! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lily says: Even my crate is better than that!
    Miss you Daddy, woof!

    ReplyDelete