Tuesday, October 6, 2009

church

We have a chapel that sits next to the BAS. It looks remarkably similar to the BAS from the outside. The pews are benches that are made from old pallets, it too is dusty, but still serves its purpose. I am lucky that our Chaplin is a Catholic priest since I am also Catholic. He is from Philly and is number 5 of 9 kids and has 46 nephews and nieces. The chapel service on Sunday reminds me of Little House on the Prarie because we are never more than 15 and we have to sing without music which does not bring out the best in me.
I have started to go to daily mass when he is around and not visiting the Marines and Sailors out at the outlying operating bases. The disadvantage of going to daily mass is that I am often the only one there and thus have the responsibility of doing the first reading and responsorial. I also need to independantly remember when to stand, sit, kneel and what prayer or response is next. The pressure is starting to get to me! The positives of daily mass is that it is never longer than 15 minutes, the homily is never longer than 1 minute and it is the only place out here to get a drink :) Here are some pictures to enjoy.

































No comments:

Post a Comment